Friday, January 14, 2011

Shyness

I have always struggled with shyness. Many people misunderstand or misjudge people who are shy. I don't have negative feelings towards people (for the most part), but if I don't know you or barely know you it is almost impossible for me to talk to you. I know I come across as rude, snobby, etc. And knowing this, you would think I would change, but it's not that easy. It is even difficult for me to post on blogs (hence the lack of blogposts), twitter, facebook, etc. I really try to promote myself, but this damn shyness just won't bend.

So of course this makes it hard to pursue music. So much is meeting people and networking. I'm not cut out for that kind of thing. I have an 'artist's personality' or whatever that means. I play music, I have very little stagefright, and I hope that I'm good at what I do. I'm just not good at talking to people. Should that matter?

So how do I deal with this? How do I get around it? For years I think I've just gone along with the 'I'm not shy, just hip' joke and tried to make it work for me, but in reality, I'm totally NOT hip. Once I get into a conversation I'm sure that becomes glaringly obvious.

I just keep on it. I tell myself, don't think so hard about it. Just do what you love. That is the only satisfaction anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel! The songs are still gone. I hope you are well. I swing by here every so often to see if the myspace song links ever come back up.

    You're a good songwriter, and I like how you sing. I've no answers to the questions as to how to make headway, sadly. I love writing songs, but for whatever reason it's always been enough to write them. Sometimes I think if I'd had to try to beat my head against stuff to "get heard" I'd hate them. The songs, I mean.

    Anyway. A random voice from the past, hoping you're still singing.

    ReplyDelete