Saturday, December 4, 2010

The 'What I'm Up To' post

I have a few projects in the works that could probably use some explanation. Of course I'm writing and recording demos for my own original songs right now. I have an awesome digital 8-track, but not much in the way of other recording equipment or recording knowledge. The extent of my knowledge is using an old tape 4-track. These songs are experiments. I'm trying to, well, try some new things, push myself, take risks. Write stuff I like and not over analyze it.

As I've mentioned before on this blog, I'm also setting some Robert Louis Stevenson poems from A Child's Garden of Verses to music. I have always loved many genres (rock, classical, some folk, jazz,etc.) and I am trying to tap into that with these new songs. They are turning out very traditional - or atleast as traditional as I get. I'm still experimenting with instrumentation and style, but overall it has been a very satisfying experience.

I am also playing bass in a band that I guess you could call 'indie rock'. I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand all the labels. I just know that I like this band and this music. It rocks, but it's also thoughtful, which is also my personal goal.

The last few months I've been rockin' out to John Lennon and the Plastic Ono Band. We got the tape at a yard sale and have almost worn it out in our minivan. Some of the songs are very aggressive and undoubtedly rock, but some are classic Lennon ballads. They explore themes of self actualization, facing one's past, etc. that John was dealing with in therapy at the time. I have always been drawn towards these themes in my own songs and this album has really inspired me to write about what I want to write about.

February on should bring about new shows featuring new material, and hopefully some CDs as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment