Sunday, February 15, 2009

I seem to write songs in groups of two. Two variations of a similar theme musically. I usually end up performing one and leaving the other to be played only when I remember it. They are usually in the same key and have the same general 'vibe'. It's like I write one to help me rework the real one. Like one is a song of ideas to be used to build the other. Something like that anyway...

Lately I have been revisiting some old jazz standards and learning new ones. I am planning on writing an intro to a song that is based on the same type of melody and chord movements as the intro to songs such as 'After You've Gone' or 'I'll See You In My Dreams'. These are great little intros with interesting melodies and melancholy but hopeful words, the kind of stuff I love! The difficult part will be putting my own spin on it. I think I have yet to use a melody that goes up to the 9th tone (ie: the E note while playing a D chord) and holds it there before moving on. It seems like such a simple thing, but it creates a certain mood that I would love to capture. These melodies always span from low to high or high to low, using more unconventional intervals. I think it is something that has been completely lost in present day songwriting, at least in songwriting that is mainstream. A theme I would like to visit is how love is not this magical true love that falls in your lap so to speak, but how REAL LOVE is learning to love. It is enduring and forgiving. I have written songs about guilt, betrayal, lying to ones self, the initial spark of love, but not love that stands the test of time. You don't hear those songs anymore! I love a sad break up song as much as the next person, but the more time that passes, the less I relate to them.

I need to learn more about the different modes. I think I understand the concepts and use them, but couldn't necessarily tell you when or how. That is my new goal. I'm sure a couple of songs would come out of it.

Here's a link for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment